Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Revisiting "Bariatric surgery: Not the answer for obesity and "hidden" Cushing's Syndrome"

In February 2009, I posted Bariatric surgery: Not the answer for obesity and "hidden" Cushing's Syndrome .  There are several really good comments below the article, but this one is new, and I think anyone considering bariatric surgery should read what this person has to say: 
Anonymous said...


On Oct 23, 2009 I had Gastric RouxEnY Bypass surgery because all of my doctors: my general dr/my pain mgt dr/my spinal fusion (2) dr/ my chronic pain therapist ALL told me that Cushings Syndrome was soooo RARE that I just needed to lose this excess weight and ALL of my symptoms would disappear or improve. So, like a good patient, I had the bypass.

It is 10 weeks post-op and I have lost 40 lbs (230 to 190, 5'7" tall, 39 yrs old)-this could be considered slow by some RNY patients. On Nov. 11, 2009 (only 2 weeks post-op) my new doctor, a young, female endocrinologist got my dexamethasome (1mg) results (finally) and loosely diagnosed me with Cushings. I have since had another 1mg test and an 8mg test, these also suggesting Cushings. I am scheduled for a MRI 2 days from today to see if we can see the size/location of the tumor on my pituitary.

For more than 2 years I have self-diagnosed my Cushings. I had EVERY symptom, and MORE, except the straie (SP?)(horrible red stretch marks). So, each time a 24hr urine-free cortisol test came back in the 'normal' range, I began to agree with my Dr's- my worsening symptoms must be due to growing obesity. I decided that I just needed to 'move on' with my life and accept the fact that I ate bad and did not exercise (due to my 4 back surgeries in 4 years, and my severe depression).

Well, if I have my way, my tomb stone will read: I told you I was sick!

I do not know if I will regret the bypass surgery down the road because I am not certain what that 'road' will entail yet.

At my one month gastric check up, upon hearing my news, my Dr was upset that I had never mentioned the word Cushings to him. (Again, I was having the gastric b/c Cushings was too RARE for my overweight self to have, so, it never occurred to me to mention it to him...) He also said "I would have never operated on you if I had thought you had Cushings". Later in our conversation he told me of his concern that once my Cushings was under control, that I would be too skinny because I had gastric.

I hope this comment helps someone out there.
Bless you, Anonymous.  I sure hope things work out for you.  Thank you so much for sharing with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags

101 (6) 2009 (1) ACTH (3) addison's (2) adenoma (10) adrenal (6) adrenal adenomas (2) adrenal insufficiency (8) adrenalectomy (1) androgens (2) anger (1) animals (1) antibiotic (1) apathy (1) apnea (1) arginine (1) attitude (2) awareness (19) bacteria (1) bariatric (4) bilateral adrenalectomy; zebra (2) BLA (6) blog carnival (1) blogging (1) blogtalkradio (1) blood work (1) buffalo hump (1) cancer (1) carcinoma (1) cardiovascular (2) change (1) chronic (1) chronic illness (8) circadian (2) classical (1) cold (2) conn's (1) cortef (1) corticosteriod (2) cortisol (7) CSF (1) CT scan (1) cure (1) cushing (1) cushing's (77) cyberchondriac (2) cyclic (2) data (1) database (1) death (4) depression (1) dexamethasone (1) diabetes (3) diabetes insipidus (1) diagnose (1) diagnosis (10) disease (1) diurnal (2) doctor (3) doctor blogs (21) doctor friedman (1) doctors (2) doctors google (1) drugs (2) dynamic MRI (2) ectopic (2) education (1) EHR (1) EMR (1) endocrine (5) endocrinology (1) epatients (5) epigenetics (4) epinephrine (1) episodic (2) estrogen (1) familial (2) fat (1) fatigue (1) ferritin (2) florid (1) flu (1) fluid control (1) food (1) gadolinium (2) galactorrhea (1) gamma knife (3) genetics (3) genotropin (1) gland (1) google (1) google health (1) googling (2) grand rounds (4) growth hormone (13) guest post (1) headache (2) health care system (14) health records (4) healthcare (1) HIPAA (1) hirsutism (1) holiday (4) home (1) hoofbeats (1) hormone (1) hormones (5) hormones bioidentical (1) HRT (1) hurt (1) hypercortisolism (1) hyperplasia (1) hypertension (1) hyperthyroidism (2) hypoparathyroidism (1) hypopitiutarism (4) hypothalamus (2) hypothyroidism (7) iatrogenic (1) ice crunching (1) illness (3) imaging (4) immune (1) immunocompromised (1) infection (2) information (2) insurance (2) internet (1) invisible illness (1) iron (1) journey (2) ketoconazole (3) kidney (1) labs (2) lapband (1) laproscopic (1) levaquin (2) libido (1) macroadenoma (2) medical records (2) medical school (1) men (1) metabolic syndrome (3) metamorphosis (1) microadenoma (1) microscopy (1) mild (1) morbidity (2) mortality (1) MRI (2) MRSA (1) mucinex (1) neuroblastoma (1) news (10) night owl (1) nodules (1) norepinephrine (1) obesity (13) obesity hunger willpower (2) Occam's Blade (1) OFM (1) osteoporosis (2) pain (4) parathyroid (3) participatory medicine (2) pasireotide (1) patient rights (2) patients (7) patientsfirst (1) PCOS (6) PCP (1) pediatric (2) peer reviewed (1) percocet (1) personal (1) PET (1) phenotype (1) pheochromoctyoma (1) pheochromocytoma (1) PHR (3) pictures (1) pituitary (24) pituitary surgery (7) pituitary tumor adenoma research acromegaly (1) poll (1) polycystic (2) prolactinoma (1) protein (1) psychological (1) radiation (1) radio; cushing's (2) rant (1) recurrence (1) reform (2) relationships (1) remission (2) research (26) respect (1) retrospective (4) rocephin (1) safari (1) salivary (2) sarcoidosis (1) science (1) serum cortisol (1) shame (1) sick (1) sinus (1) sinus infection (2) sinusitis (1) sleep (2) soda (1) spoon theory (1) steriod (1) steroids (1) subclinical (2) surgery (11) surgeXperiences (2) survival (1) symptom (1) technology (1) temozolomide (1) testing (6) testosterone (2) thyroid (6) to google (1) top10 (1) transsphenoidal endoscopic (1) travel (2) treatment (3) trust (1) tumor (12) twitter (5) urinary free cortisol (2) urinary infection (2) UTI (1) veteran (1) video (3) Vitamin D (6) weakness (1) zebra (5) zippy (1)

Email me....

survivethejourney at gmail dot com

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner