Monday, July 14, 2008

Tamera's story of hope: Cushing's, pituitary surgery, and remission


Tamera is a nurse in Alaska. She and her husband also own and run a B&B there. Tamera had Cushing's caused by a pituitary adenoma which was removed by surgery in Fl (where her daughters live). She posted an update on the cushings-help boards, and I asked her if I could share it on my blog. She gave me the green light, which I very much appreciate. Tamera, thank you for sharing, and thank you for the ray of sunshine.

Tamera's story exactly as she wrote it:

I can understand how you feel because I was once there as well. I'm a nurse and had lost all ability to practice due to the multitude of symptoms. I won't go into the details, because we all know the crazy symptoms that go hand in hand with Cushing's. But I want to give you hope. I know there are those who end up without a cure after surgery and others who have trouble with recovery, but every now and then something good happens and I was one of the lucky ones. Now here is the good part:

I had surgery on Dec. 19, 2007 since then:

I have lost 71 pounds.

I have regained sight, memory, ability to use my right side, I feel good about myself again. I have no headaches, female problems resolved, back pain GONE, foot pain GONE, bones healing, more energy, skin cleared up, hump gone, subclavial fat pads GONE, hair improved, nails growing again, I can walk straight AND actually make it up the stairs without feeling like I will pass out...AND I can walk down the stairs like a normal person. Not going one step at a time and clinging to the rail for support due to the extreme weakness. I can do housework again and am capable of running my bed and breakfast which can have up to 16 guests at a time. I'm not cowering in the corner wishing I could disappear, I'm more social again, I don't bite people's heads off, or wish to. I care about my appearance again and enjoy hearing from family and friends about how great I look. I'm no longer wishing I could end my life in some way...yes, I had gotten to that point when I felt everything had been taken from me and I could not get doctors to believe me. I'm forever grateful to Dr. K and Dr. R at Shands in Gainesville for giving me back my life. I still have some days when I'm a bit nauseated, days when my muscles and bones ache from the damage the high levels of cortisol did. But, I'm back on the river catching salmon, making smores around the firepit with the guests, exercising at Curves, doing all the things I could not do last year. In fact, the week before my surgery, I finally broke down and allowed my son to push me in a wheelchair so I could go to Disney with the kids. He thought it was pretty cool that we got in lines first, but me, I was mortified! I've always been in control, the nurse and supervisor. To have all that taken away just about did me in. But here I am, just over six months later and living life again as I never thought I would. I can't wait to see what a year brings.

My advise: HAVE FAITH IN YOURSELF. IF A DOC TELLS YOU THAT YOU DON'T, CAN'T HAVE CUSHING'S THEN FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR WHO WILL LISTEN TO YOU. THERE IS ONE WHO WILL. DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF, YOU OWE IT TO YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND ALL THOSE WHOSE LIVES YOU ARE LEFT TO TOUCH, MOST OF ALL, YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF.

AND STAY HERE! HERE YOU WILL FIND THOSE WHO WILL CARE, LISTEN, AND UNDERSTAND. THOSE WHO WILL WORRY ABOUT YOU AND ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU. IF I CAN EVER BE OF HELP, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM ME OR WRITE ME DIRECT AT TACHINRN@AOL.COM. I AM SO INDEPTED TO THIS GROUP AND TO MARY WHO CREATED THIS PLACE FOR US TO MEET. I ONLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO GIVE IN RETURN.

Tamera

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tags

101 (6) 2009 (1) ACTH (3) addison's (2) adenoma (10) adrenal (6) adrenal adenomas (2) adrenal insufficiency (8) adrenalectomy (1) androgens (2) anger (1) animals (1) antibiotic (1) apathy (1) apnea (1) arginine (1) attitude (2) awareness (19) bacteria (1) bariatric (4) bilateral adrenalectomy; zebra (2) BLA (6) blog carnival (1) blogging (1) blogtalkradio (1) blood work (1) buffalo hump (1) cancer (1) carcinoma (1) cardiovascular (2) change (1) chronic (1) chronic illness (8) circadian (2) classical (1) cold (2) conn's (1) cortef (1) corticosteriod (2) cortisol (7) CSF (1) CT scan (1) cure (1) cushing (1) cushing's (77) cyberchondriac (2) cyclic (2) data (1) database (1) death (4) depression (1) dexamethasone (1) diabetes (3) diabetes insipidus (1) diagnose (1) diagnosis (10) disease (1) diurnal (2) doctor (3) doctor blogs (21) doctor friedman (1) doctors (2) doctors google (1) drugs (2) dynamic MRI (2) ectopic (2) education (1) EHR (1) EMR (1) endocrine (5) endocrinology (1) epatients (5) epigenetics (4) epinephrine (1) episodic (2) estrogen (1) familial (2) fat (1) fatigue (1) ferritin (2) florid (1) flu (1) fluid control (1) food (1) gadolinium (2) galactorrhea (1) gamma knife (3) genetics (3) genotropin (1) gland (1) google (1) google health (1) googling (2) grand rounds (4) growth hormone (13) guest post (1) headache (2) health care system (14) health records (4) healthcare (1) HIPAA (1) hirsutism (1) holiday (4) home (1) hoofbeats (1) hormone (1) hormones (5) hormones bioidentical (1) HRT (1) hurt (1) hypercortisolism (1) hyperplasia (1) hypertension (1) hyperthyroidism (2) hypoparathyroidism (1) hypopitiutarism (4) hypothalamus (2) hypothyroidism (7) iatrogenic (1) ice crunching (1) illness (3) imaging (4) immune (1) immunocompromised (1) infection (2) information (2) insurance (2) internet (1) invisible illness (1) iron (1) journey (2) ketoconazole (3) kidney (1) labs (2) lapband (1) laproscopic (1) levaquin (2) libido (1) macroadenoma (2) medical records (2) medical school (1) men (1) metabolic syndrome (3) metamorphosis (1) microadenoma (1) microscopy (1) mild (1) morbidity (2) mortality (1) MRI (2) MRSA (1) mucinex (1) neuroblastoma (1) news (10) night owl (1) nodules (1) norepinephrine (1) obesity (13) obesity hunger willpower (2) Occam's Blade (1) OFM (1) osteoporosis (2) pain (4) parathyroid (3) participatory medicine (2) pasireotide (1) patient rights (2) patients (7) patientsfirst (1) PCOS (6) PCP (1) pediatric (2) peer reviewed (1) percocet (1) personal (1) PET (1) phenotype (1) pheochromoctyoma (1) pheochromocytoma (1) PHR (3) pictures (1) pituitary (24) pituitary surgery (7) pituitary tumor adenoma research acromegaly (1) poll (1) polycystic (2) prolactinoma (1) protein (1) psychological (1) radiation (1) radio; cushing's (2) rant (1) recurrence (1) reform (2) relationships (1) remission (2) research (26) respect (1) retrospective (4) rocephin (1) safari (1) salivary (2) sarcoidosis (1) science (1) serum cortisol (1) shame (1) sick (1) sinus (1) sinus infection (2) sinusitis (1) sleep (2) soda (1) spoon theory (1) steriod (1) steroids (1) subclinical (2) surgery (11) surgeXperiences (2) survival (1) symptom (1) technology (1) temozolomide (1) testing (6) testosterone (2) thyroid (6) to google (1) top10 (1) transsphenoidal endoscopic (1) travel (2) treatment (3) trust (1) tumor (12) twitter (5) urinary free cortisol (2) urinary infection (2) UTI (1) veteran (1) video (3) Vitamin D (6) weakness (1) zebra (5) zippy (1)

Email me....

survivethejourney at gmail dot com

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner