As a Cushing's Disease survivor, what do I fear most? What do those of you who deal with it fear most? Feel free to share in the comments section.
I could get into a lot of fears, but I'm limiting these strictly to this disease. My top ten fears:
- A recurrence
- Never getting better
- Being a burden to my family/daughters
- Not being able to live on my own for the rest of my life or at least until I'm "old". (50 is NOT old!)
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Not being able to work.
- Having to work until I'm old.
- Losing my parents. They are such support in many ways, and they are dear to my heart.
- Losing my daughters. Ditto to the above.
- Always being fat. I want to be slim again.
Ouch, how depressing. But true. I don't dwell on this, but a friend's post on the cushings-help message boards tonight made me think how tough this disease is on us. Even when we get a diagnosis and help toward a cure, there is nothing promised. It's a damning disease. I hate it. Don't you, Christy? (Love you, girl!)
EDIT: Ok...I have to add two more things:
11. Losing Dr. Friedman.
12. Losing the cushings-help website and support boards (and all the friends that go with it).